I don’t know how the weather is where you are but down here in Texas we are all BURNING up. You would think all of us Texans would be used to it by now but every time July and August role around all anyone can talk about is how HOT it is! (You can literally fry an egg on the blacktop). I’ve always tanned fairly easy, very rarely did I ever use sunscreen and even more rarely did I get a sun burn and to top it all off I was constantly in and out of tanning beds through my early twenties and teenage years but at 26 I’m starting to see some of the long term effects of basking in the El Paso & North Texas sun my whole life. I still LOVE the summer sun and no matter how much I complain about the heat I’ll take it over the cold any day. So I’ve come up with some skincare tips for all my fellow sun worshipers that will help keep our skin healthy while we enjoy our beloved sunshine.
- Invest in an ALL NATURAL sunscreen or sunblock. I prefer a natural sunscreen over sunblock just because it absorbs faster and doesn’t leave as much of a white residue AND its clean.
- We have to keep our skin hydrated all the time. Hydration is KEY to keeping our skin feeling good and looking young. Not only do we want to hydrate our insides but we also want to hydrate our outer most layer as well. I like to use body butter before every bath or shower, since body butter tends to feel a bit heavier in the summer months I apply it before I hop in the tub so when I get out it gives my skin the perfect amount of nourishment. During the day I periodically apply a light weight coconut milk lotion to keep my body constantly feeling moisturized.
- Replace your trusty old Hawaiian tanning oil with 100% coconut oil, it’s much more hydrating and has a natural SPF of 4.
- Get a sun hat. The less exposure your face has the better. You can still enjoy the sun without having to emerge your face in it.
- Don’t forget to protect your pout, make sure you are using a ALL NATURAL lip balm that contains an SPF of 15 or higher. Apply regularly to maintain constant hydration.
- After a day in the sun cool down with a cold shower. After sweating all day a cool shower will keep your pores from getting clogged, decreasing your risk for breakouts.
Taking care of your skin doesn't have to be complicated. A little bit of tlc today will help you maintain gorgeous, youthful skin as you age. Feed your skin clean, organic skincare products and feel the glow!