Milium Cysts are small white bumps that usually appear on the nose and cheeks. The cysts occur when a protein called keratin is trapped beneath the surface of the skin. Milia occurs in people of all ages but is most commonly seen in newborns. The cause for Milia in newborns is unknown but for adolescents and adults its often due to some type of damage to the skin, such as:
- Long-term use of steroid cream
- Long-term sun damage
- Skin resurfacing procedures such as dermabrasion or laser resurfacing.
There is no treatment necessary for infant milia. The cysts will usually clear up within a few weeks. In older children and adults, milia will go away within a few months. There are some natural remedies that will help to eliminate the cysts if used on a regular basis. There are also dermatological treatments that can be effective for eliminating these cysts if they cause discomfort.
Products that we recommend for Milia:
- Alpha Hydroxy Face Mask
- Pumpkin and Alpha Hydroxy Face Mask
- Vitamin C Serum
- Vitamin C and E Face Mask
Key Points for avoiding Milium Cysts:
- Apply a natural sun screen when outside and avoid long-term sun exposure.
- Steer clear of any damaging skin procedures.
- Suture any skin abrasions / blisters properly.
- Avoid any type of steroid cream as much as possible.
If you have already been diagnosed with Milia here are some natural ways to help subside your symptoms and make you more comfortable for the next few months.
- Natural chemical peels
*Click here for a list of References